Tuesday, December 2, 2008

All My Sons Post

In the play, All my Sons, we see many examples where characters chose which is more important, fulfilling the needs of their society or the needs of their family.  There seems to be so much drama that gets to the characters heads.  All the drama makes them realize what really is important in their life and forces them to make decisions on very rough subjects.  In the Keller family there is a lot of drama.  Larry, one of the sons, has died in the war and Kate, the mother, won't come to realization that he is dead.  Chris, another of the sons, plans on marrying Larry's lover, Ann.  Joe, the father, is found guilty of lying about a huge crisis.  "I'm askin' you.  What am I, a stranger?  I thought I had a family here.  What happened to my family?" (Miller 75).  This shows that the Keller family hasn't been focusing on what the needs of the family were.  They've been more worried about what society thinks and have almost forgotten that they have a family to take care to.  George, Ann's brother, in the play, put his view of his families needs first.  He hated the Kellers because he was convinced that Joe Keller was involved with the scandal that left George and Ann's father in jail.  "You're not going to marry him" (Miller 53).  George obviously loves his family so much that he is willing to take away Ann from her love, Chris, because he hates the Kellers so much.  He is putting what he thinks are his families needs first in this situation.  As you can see, there are many different scenarios where society comes first or family comes first.
In my opinion, I think it is more important to put the needs of your family first.  Your family are the ones you love and the ones who you are supposed to be there for.  If they are in trouble, you should always try to do everything you can so they can be better off.  The only situation where you would have to put society first is if your family committed some kind of crime or did something that hurt society.  Even if your families beliefs are different than those in society, you should always stick by your family.

3 comments:

Emily Fl. said...

I agree with that you should put your family first. Throughout elementary school I learned that family is your first priority. Then school and etc. Your family is who knows you best, and will always love you no matter what happens, even if it is something very tragic to overcome.

Andrea L. said...

I partially agree with family comes first. In general, I find this to be true. But in cases like the one in the novel, I believe that you must look at the society as a whole, and do what is best for them.

Maren said...

I think there is a time and place for family, but when a situation like that in All My Sons arises, you must take a step back and see that the consequences reach far beyond your own family to touch the lives or strangers. Selfish decisions like the one Joe Keller made are not justified by his disire to raise his son right; it causes more harm than good to everyone, including his son, in the end.